I had so much fun last Friday coming up with a list of fun facts, I decided to make it a weekly thing. So lets get into it!
Otters are most likely one of the cutest animals to ever exist. So when i googled “fun facts” to try to get an idea and when this popped up,
I had no other option. So without further ado, lets learn about otters!
- There are at least 13 known species of otters
more like 13 known species of cuties to dream of snuggling, but they’re wild animals so you love them from a distance.
- The North American river otter has the least concern for extinction, but every other otter species falls somewhere on the endangered spectrum.
Poor sweet little babies I will save all of you, come move in with me, we can have cuddle parties and take nice long baths.
- The giant otter can reach up to 6 feet (1.8 meters) in length
thats not a little baby, thats bigger than me.
Fact # 4
- when otters hold hands while sleeping, its called a raft
they even wrap seaweed or other plants around their hands to secure the bond. MY HEART IS MELTING!!!
- Otters can juggle
its believed to be a play type of thing although it hasn’t been totally figured out yet, they could totally join the circus though!
Fact # 6
- Sea otters use rocks to hammer abalone shells off the rocks and crack the hard shells of prey open
Can we get these guys some hammers? I feel like that would be SO much easier!
- River otters mate for life
sea otters prefer to live a much more open lifestyle, and thats cool too. No judgement sea otters, you do you.
- Sea otters live in the ocean for much of their life and only come to land every so often
river otters on the other hand stay on land most of the time to avoid getting waterlogged fur. They only use the water to travel and hunt. If I could use the river like a slip and slide I totally would.
- A group of otters is called a romp
it makes sense, they seem like they like to play hard and party!
- Sea otters have pockets
they use the pockets to bring stuff to the surface and to store their special eating rock in. I wonder what else those cute little suckers are smuggling, drugs? precious artwork? nobody would suspect an otter to steal the Mona Lisa, its the perfect crime!
So, now we know a bit more about otters possibly. I love learning about new things, and i hope you don’t mind that I make this a weekly thing. If you know anything about otters that I didn’t say, or i got something totally wrong feel free to let me know!